Wednesday 22 October 2008

Here, 2

We're listening to Amy Winehouse Back to Black. The wine tastes of blackberries. It's the first freezing night since I got back to Brooklyn. This neighbourhood is familiar to me now, this house is familiar to me now, this man is familiar to me now, but there's an intimacy that is getting quieter, that seems to be wearing something in me out, slowly and quietly. New York still excites the living bollocks out of me but this time it is a low pulse, a far cry from the insatiable pull Manhattan had on me when I first came here.

You get what you get, even when what you get is not what your heart desires. Isn't that amazing?

2 comments:

  1. Love Amy Winehouse - I love the silence that comes from familiarity. That ability to sit and say nothing and yet feel so full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is intimacy that does its do in that way, I think.

    ReplyDelete